Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Subliminal Advertising


I went do dinner with a friend the other day, and he asked me if since I am design student if I analyze pretty much every advertisement I see. And at times, yes I do, and I really can't watch ads because my mind goes into overload. But it isn't just the design but the content, which is really part of the design. Like how in the original ads for the iPhone the person who was calling was Johnny Appleseed, subliminally putting in the idea that the iPhone was a piece of Americana. Oh man there is so much about those commercials to analyze.

This also means I am one of those people who always pick out all the product placements in TV shows and movies. So when I saw these posters that look like minimal movie posters, but instead of the actors names it has all the companies that had product placements, I was intrigued. But you know what, now these posters are advertising both the movies and the products all over again. And now I am part of that. Oh what a vicious circle.

No comments: